Sign up now and take our newest professional development course, The Art and Craft of Remote Teaching.
This is a learn-at-your-own-pace online course, broken into six modules. Each module should take approximately 1 hour to complete. At the conclusion of each module, you earn a badge. If you earn all six badges from this course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
The course was designed and is led by Dr. Vanessa Ament, Cheryl Diermyer, and Dr. Ann Kwinn.
The course is recommended for all faculty members who want to gain more knowledge and skills to assist in their remote teaching efforts.
"The Art and Craft of Remote Teaching" offers an opportunity to re-imagine a traditional live classroom experience transitioned to a remote modality. Solutions to engage students accustomed to more familiar teaching methods are presented in this methodical and visually appealing course. Instructors are guided through the philosophy and methods of "Personable Learning," which features the "Mentor in the Center" as a key component to build engagement methods into a course, and develop a connected relationship with students as individuals and as a group. Peer learning, discussions, and authentic assessment examples are included, along with video demonstrations.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Define the critical components of an instructor as "Mentor in the Center" as a paradigm for engaging students.
- Create engaging learning modules that are easy to navigate and present content artfully.
- Include relational "soft touches" throughout the course to help keep students stay connected to the instructor.
- Encourage student reflection and critical thinking utilizing multiple modalities, individual assignments, and peer learning.
- Create low-stakes formative assessments to build competency for high-stakes summative assessments.